Winkie Handicap
24th Jul, 2016

On Sunday the 24th of July fourteen riders nominated for a handicapped road race around the Winkie circuit. To cater for all levels of fitness and experience the race was split into categories; not only handicapped by time but by distance too. Challenging each rider and hopefully pulling their strengths.

First to depart with a four lap race ahead of them were Ruth Strout, Angelo Ylia and Glen O’Brien, followed two minutes later by Dennis Robinson, Lee Rasheed, Frank Sullivan and Clayton Bond. Lee Stevens and Ken Ridley began their race with the two-minute bunch but unlike their fellow riders, they would be completing a total of 5 laps. Matthew Benson was joined in what was effectively the scratch group this week, by visiting Adelaide rider, Tim Lennon. The duo with five laps to complete had a 3-minute deficit to rein in on Lee Stevens and Ken Ridley. Mick Gray, Terry Bond and Clint Bambrick rounded out the race entrants; completing four laps of the Winkie course, 12 minutes behind Strout, Ylia and O’Brien.

Wind gusts reaching 60 km/hour made it tough racing for all riders involved. After some time off the bike Dennis Robinson fought hard to stay with his group and managed to hang on until they reached Strout, Ylia and O’Brien. Once the leading group were caught they worked together to try and hold off the chasing riders. Clayton Bond, Rasheed and Sullivan had other ideas, chasing down the leaders and setting themselves up for what would be the top three placings of the day.

Meanwhile at the back of the race, Ridley and Stevens were working hard to catch the front runners and to hold off the faster riders following. The duo chasing them, Benson and Lennon, would soon become one as Lennon retired due to a knee problem leaving Benson to draw on his strengths and finish the race solo. Benson chased hard but to no avail, Ridley and Stevens were able to catch Gray, Bond and Bambrick with only the latter able to hang on to the finish line.

In an elbows out sprint for the line Clayton Bond took the win ahead of Rasheed and Sullivan. Glen O’Brien claimed fourth place ahead of Strout and Ylia. Dennis Robinson just missed out on the prizes in seventh place. Ken Ridley powered home in the final 200m to outsprint Stevens for eighth. Bambrick made sure he finished in front of a fast finishing Benson to claim tenth. Although Benson finished in eleventh place he did collect a consolation prize of finishing with the fastest average speed. Terry Bond and Mick Gray rounded out the placings.

Next week sees racing continue at Cooltong with racing to begin at 0930, Sunday the 31st of July.


Clayton bond


Lee Rasheed


Frank Sullivan


Glen O'Brien


Ruth Strout


Angelo Ylia


Dennis Robinson


Ken Ridley


Lee Stevens


Clint Bambrick


Matthew Benson

Fastest Time


Terry Bond


Mick Gray


Tim Lennon